Yale University offers exciting opportunities for achievement and growth in New Haven, Connecticut. Conveniently located between Boston and New York, New Haven is the creative capital of Connecticut with cultural resources that include three major museums, a critically-acclaimed repertory theater, state-of-the-art concert hall, and world-renowned schools of Architecture, Art, Drama, and Music.
General Purpose: Under the supervision of the Director, StatLab and Technology Programs for the Center for the Science and Social Science Information (CSSSI), the Research Data Support Specialist provides consultations, instruction, and outreach in support of data collection, management, manipulation, and analysis for scholarship. As part of the CSSSI team, the Research Data Support Specialist works closely with librarians and statistical specialists to deliver a broad range of data services to the academic community.
The Research Data Support Specialist collaborates with Data Librarians and the Statistical Support Specialist to develop scalable and sustainable services in support of data discoverability, access and utility. In close partnership with subject liaisons, GIS specialists, and StatLab staff, the Research Data Support Specialist facilitates interaction with locally created and externally available data resources available.
This position provides assistance in working with inconsistent data formats, translating between different formats, different databases and maximizing data usability. Using tools such as the command line, Python, SQL, Perl, and Tableau, the Research Data Support Specialist relates multiple information formats to find new ways of interrogating and representing the data.
Required Education and Experience: Bachelor’s degree and at least 3 years’ experience in an academic environment, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Proven ability to support and implement complex quantitative or geospatial databases (one or more of the following: MySQL, Microsoft SQL, Postgres, Access, Filemaker), information architecture, and database design.
• Demonstrated ability to work independently and collaboratively with varied groups within a complex organization.
• Demonstrated excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communications and analytical ability.
• Demonstrated record of designing projects and bringing them to a conclusion in a timely fashion.
• Preferred: Software versioning methods and tools. Experience with data visualization tools/languages (Tableau, leaflet, Processing, D3). Experience with research data lifecycle pipeline including discovery and repository software (Blacklight, SOLR). Understanding of metadata standards and formats. Proficiency with command line and shell scripting. Advanced degree in Computer Sci. or Library/Information Science.
Application: For more information and immediate consideration, please apply online at http://www.yale.edu/jobs – the STARS req ID for this position is 38405BR. Please be sure to reference this website when applying for this position.
We invite you to discover the excitement, diversity, rewards and excellence of a career at Yale University. One of the country’s great workplaces, Yale University offers exciting opportunities for meaningful accomplishment and true growth. Our benefits package is among the best anywhere, with a wide variety of insurance choices, liberal paid time off, fantastic family and educational benefits, a variety of retirement benefits, extensive recreational facilities, and much more.
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression.